Monday, August 10, 2009

Permaculture in the Blue Ridge

August 10th, 2009

Today was hot and dry, one of the few days without rain this year!  This year has been so wet that its almost a welcome surprise to have some hot and dry weather in the middle of the summer.  If someone had said something like that last year, I would have thought they were crazy.  This is my first year farming that has been even remotely wet, although I did originally garden in Guapiles, Costa Rica, where we got 18 feet of rain a year! 6 meters of rain!!  It literaly rained every day there and then the sun would come out and the plants loved it.  This year at Sweet Aspect and the Penland School of Crafts really reminds me of that lush abundant feeling of the tropics. 

I have been used to the drought that has plagued the Southeast for the last several years at least.  Coming from Madison County, Virginia to Madison County, North Carolina, the soil and climate condtions seemed really similar last year.  This year, though, I feel like I'm in a different world with all the rain.  The plants love it!!   

No comments:

Post a Comment