Thursday, January 6, 2011

Margo and Lisa come to visit

Hangin' out with Margo and Lisa, who spent last season working for Charleston Farm, was super fun! It gave me all kinds of insight on the fine tuning of growing that I really only learn from other growers. Subtle ways we do things differently.
I just put in my seed order for the year. I am trying a local open pollinated organic seed company here in Asheville called Sow True Seeds. I also ordered from Johnny's and Fedco. Bummed that I won't get the Evergreen Hardy White Green Onions in time. I started eight flats of that seed from two years ago, but I don't have very high hopes. I'm in the midst of rearranging my propagation area to make maintenance easier, but as soon as I get that squared away I'll be planting geraniums and begonias. Last year, the geraniums were the best ornamental flower I had with petunias a close second. Check back for pictures of my growing space.

Here's my veggie seed list:

Fedco
Mustard Chinese Thick-Stem OG, Mustard Red Giant OG, Lettuce Green Ice OG, Lettuce Green Deer Tongue OG, Lettuce Royal Oakleaf OG, Lettuce Slobolt OG, Lettuce Tom Thumb, Lettuce Buttercrunch, Lettuce Wunder von Stuttgart, Lettuce Jericho OG, Lettuce Parris Island Cos, Lettuce Anuenue OG, Lettuce Summertime, Zucchini Jackpot, Zucchini Costata Romanesca OG, Patty Pan Benning's Green Tint, Cucumber Marketmore 76, Cucumber General Lee, Tomatillo Verde Puebla OG, Bell Pepper Purple Beauty, Bell Pepper Feherozon, OG Bell Pepper King of the North, Tomato Peacevine OG, Tomato Old German OG, Leek King Richard OG, Leek Bleu de Solaize, NZ Spinach, Okra Red Burgundy OG

Johnny's
Green Onion Evergreen Hardy White, Green Onion White Spear, Green Onion Nabechan, Cilantro Caribe, Chard Brightlights, Zucchini Cashflow, Dill Fernleaf, Squash Superpik, Squash Yellow Crookneck, Rosemary, Shiso, Cayenne Joe's Long, Tomato Mountain Magic, Leek Tadorna

Sow True
Arugula, Slow Bolt Mizuna, Organic Beet Chioggia, Cabbage Early Jersey Wakefield, Cabbage Perfection Savoy, Cabbage Red Acre, Broccoli Green Sprouting Calabres,e Carrot Red Core Chantennay, Cauliflower Self Blanch, Cilantro Slow Bolt, Dill Green Sleeves, Organic Eggplant Black Beauty OG, Lettuce Buttercrunch, Lettuce Green Oakleaf, Mustard Old Fashioned, Radish Daikon, Japanese Minowase, Appalachian Greens Mix, Turnip Purple Top Globe, Organic

Definitely dreamin' of Spring...

Coop

2 comments:

  1. I was researching a new lettuce I heard about, Wunder von Stuttgart, and randomly clicked on your site. To my surprise, you just wrote about Lisa and Margo visiting and they worked with me at Charlestown Farm last season, haha! What a coincidence! What are the odds? It's a small world (or should I say world wide web) after all.

    So anyway, what are your thoughts about Wunder von Stuttgart?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, it's amazing how connected we all are! It's also how amazing how busy we all are. Sorry it took so long for me to answer your question. I don't really know about Wunder, as you might be able to tell, I'm still in the phase of trying a bunch of lettuces to see which work best for me. I can tell you I don't go a season without using Rouge d'Hiver and Anuenue. I could go on about lettuce, so let me know if you have any more questions...I promise I'll check back more often.

    ReplyDelete